Best Organics For Health .com
Copyright © 2006 - 2009
Home Business.
Breast Cancer.
Harmful Ingredients .
Beneficial Ingredients.
Useful Gift Certificates.
Certified Probiotics.
Why Choose Organic.
Natural Skin Care.
Organic Certifications .
Glass vs Plastic.
Health/Beauty Tips.
How To Order.
Health Articles.
Internet Law.
Useful Resources.
Contact .
Skin Care.Hair Care.Personal Care.Baby Care.Cosmetics.Oral Care.Household.Perfumes / Oils.
Related Products

Created By Stephen Tuffery

Terms of Use Statement    Privacy Policy   Purchase Agreement


DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is not intended to act as a substitute for medical advice provided by a qualified health care provider, nor is any information on this site intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If anyone has a specific health issue they should always seek medical advice.

Get Your Free Skincare Report


Dangerous Beauty

By Dr Peter Dingle and Toni Brown

   The Body


Dr Paula Baillie-Hamilton

The Chemical Maze

By Bill Statham


Note: this site is best viewed in Internet Explorer or Firefox   

Why You Need To Read The Lables On Cosmetics And Health Care Products


by Jean Shaw© - All Rights reserved

Chemicals and toxins are everywhere and often we don't realise it. Until I suffered from mercury poisoning caused by my dental amalgam fillings I had no idea the second most toxic substance on the planet was inside my mouth!

That shocking revelation led me to investigate further why my son has autism and I am convinced it is due to the toxic preservatives used in childhood vaccines. What insanity allows people to knowingly inject thimerosal (a mercury derivative), aluminium and formaldehyde (both toxic substances) into seemingly healthy young children when their immune system is only just developing?

Both of us have improved tremendously since SAFELY chelating for heavy metals but have been left questioning if the products we are offered every day are actually as beneficial as we are led to believe.

Inevitably our health is linked life style choices and some areas we can control but I find it amazing that over 85,000 synthetic chemicals have been approved by the Environment Protection Agency but not tested for long-term health effects either individually or in combination.

Many of them are found in your bathroom.

I used to be a sun worshipper but now understand the healthiest tan is no tan at all. My skin now displays numerous areas of sun related damage.

Skin cancer is caused by excessive exposure to intense sunlight and the the sun's A,B and C rays. The effects of the latter are largely unknown, but the B rays cause sunburn on the surface of the skin. The A rays penetrate deeper and damage cells way below the surface leading to wrinkling, a leathery texture and the potential to develop skin cancer.

You can protect yourself from sun damage by limiting exposure, staying covered as much as possible and using a high quality NON-TOXIC lotion that blocks out the full spectrum of solar rays.

However, many over the counter sun block creams and lotions contain known carcinogens and toxic chemicals which build up over time and predispose sun bathers to melanoma. Health and beauty do not always go hand in glove.

The skin is the largest eliminatory organ in the body. It is a two-way membrane. Toxins are eliminated through the skin via perspiration and absorbed into the body's systemic circulation, through hair follicles and sebaceous glands.

In one square inch of skin you have 65 hairs and 100 sebaceous glands which means anything you put on your skin is likely to be absorbed.

That would be good news if you only received the beneficial ingredients but unfortunately the skin isn't that selective.

You see there is very little regulation over the ingredients used by Cosmetic manufacturers. Infact, according to the FDA -

"Cosmetics and their ingredients are not required to undergo approval before they are sold. Manufacturers can use any ingredient, except for 10 prohibited substances, without government review".

That's a bit worrying as there are 10,500 ingredients contained in health and beauty products available in stores today. Only 11% of them have been assessed by the industry's own safety review panel which means 89% have never been tested.

Many manufacturers will argue these ingredients are used in such small quantities they can do no harm. However, it is the toxic build up over time and the chemicals created when ingredients react together that has the potential to cause health damage to you and your family.

According to The Environmental Working Group -


· More than one-third of all personal care products contain at least one ingredient linked to cancer

· 57% contain penetration enhancer chemicals that can drive other ingredients faster and deeper into the skin to the blood vessels below

· 70% of all products contain ingredients that may contain harmful impurities such as known carcinogens (according to FDA or industry reviews)

The bottom line is the more products you use on your skin, the more chemicals you absorb.

Top of Form 1

Enter your search terms Submit search form  

Bottom of Form 1

Despite the known dangers associated with many of the ingredients in cosmetics, skin care and personal care products, some manufacturers continue to use them. This is because they are inexpensive and can be used to create products with a look, feel and smell that can be marketed successfully at huge profits.

Health doesn't appear to be an issue.

You can of course check the safety data of products as Federal regulations require ingredients to be listed on labels in descending order by quantity. Usually if you break the list into thirds, the top third will be 90 - 95% of the product, the middle will be 5 - 8% and the bottom will be 1 -3%.

Problems occur when the manufacturers do not list the recognised INCI (International Names of Cosmetic Ingredients). Instead they use either made up names or complex chemical trade names making it very difficult for the average consumer to look up.

The list of potentially harmful ingredients is long. The best advice is to read the labels on your toothpaste, shampoo, moisturizer, deodorant and cosmetics. If you can't pronounce them - don't use them!

Of course the safest course of action is to seek out natural and organic products but even here you have to beware. Some unscrupulous manufacturers mislead their customers with false labels.

The industry's definitions (whilst legal) are not the same as those in the dictionary and which the majority of consumers might expect.

For instance the chemical definition of "organic"' is 'a compound that contains a carbon atom'. Since carbon is found in anything that has ever lived, certain cosmetic companies use synthetic chemicals derived from petroleum products and describe them as "organic preservatives".

Also you will find descriptions of "derived from (some sort of natural ingredient)" which lulls you into a false sense of security. You see it means a chemical process has taken place and is therefore no longer "natural".

The only way to ensure you get 100% synthetic chemical and toxic free products is to look for the recognized Certified Organic logos.

In order to be Certified Organic, products must contain at least 95% organically produced agricultural ingredients (excluding water and salt). The remaining 5% can be nonagricultural substances or non-organically produced agricultural ingredients with strict processing criteria - e.g. NO GMO's and absolutely NO SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS.

Organic products only have to contain at least 70% organically produced agricultural ingredients (excluding water and salt) but again the remaining 30% have to follow the same strict processing criteria, e.g. NO GMO's and absolutely NO SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS.

However, currently, body care products are not required to comply with the stringent organic food standards maintained by International certification bodies such as the BFA and NASAA in Australia and the USDA in America. As a result many so called "organic" body care products are on the market.

Since water is the primary ingredient in many cosmetics, some manufacturers are claiming to use organic hydrosols, or floral water, to green wash their products and make organic label claims whilst using the same synthetic toxic ingredients that would NEVER be allowed in organic food products.

Fortunately one company produces an entire range of skin, personal and body care products which are entirely genuinely "organic". Most of their items are Certified Organic to Food Standards which means you could even eat them and they wouldn't do you any harm although this is not a recommendation.

They are the only company on the planet to have submitted their products for third party independent certification so their integrity is assured. Also you can actually pronounce all the beneficial active ingredients listed.

If you care for your health I recommend you read the labels.
For more information contact


For more details on
SAFE 100% toxic synthetic chemical free organic cosmetics and skin care products see

Jean Shaw is the author of
"I'm Not Naughty - I'm Autistic - Jodi's Journey" and "Autism, Amalgam and Me - Jodi's Journey Continues".

This article is copyright Jean Shaw© 2006 and may be reprinted with permission providing there is an active link to this resource box


Syndicate Jean's articles on your site! Fast, Easy & Free!